Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lesson Plan on Using Paint Sticks as Library Cards and Shelf Markers


Shelf Markers with Bar Codes

Hi all!

I want to explain to you how we use paint sticks for our "library cards" and as shelf markers in the library!

I have one shelf marker, (a paint stirrer), per student, and I store them in small paint cans for each class.  Each teacher has his/her own paint can.  I put the student Patron barcode onto the stick with an adhesive label, their name and their teacher's name.  Initially it is work, but after that, it's a piece of cake.




Each student keeps it for all of the years of elementary school. I do change out the teachers name each year and refile the sticks into their new class.  It becomes a combination shelf marker and library card. It works great. I've been working on getting them ready for next week.  It's a bit of work, but not more than you'd have to do anyway.




Below is a video another librarian made who also does this.   Thank you Mrs. B, from 180 Views from the Library Desk, for showing us a super way to use paint stirrers in the library!

Here is the video she made for her students in kinder and first, to show them how to use their "library sticks." (The photo is a link.)


The students decorate their sticks when they were in kindergarten...then on the other side in fifth grade. It a fun keepsake!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me time to learn all the comments, but I honestly loved the blog. It proved to be very advantageous to me and I'm positive to all of the followers here!

Unknown said...

How do you put AR levels on the sticks?
Victoria Goodman

Unknown said...

Did you purchase the paint sticks or were they donated? If purchased, where did you find the best deal on them?

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great idea! I have kindergarten children that don't know their last name which makes it impossible to do book check in Destiny. I will try this amazing idea this next school year.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and can't wait to start this in the fall!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...