Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cherished Picture Book of the Week

I went to DI again today, (the second hand stores in Utah), and I found another of my favorite books, by one of my favorite authors ever, Kevin Henkes!  "Wemberly Worried"!  It's a must have, especially for Pre-K/Kinders or to read to any child who is nervous about starting school.

Wemberly worries about everything.  Big things, little things and things in between.  She worries that she may shrink and go down the drain in the bath tub, that the big tree in the front yard will fall on her house and that something might find its way out of the crack in her wall!  She especially worries about her doll "Petals".  Soon however, Wemberly has a new worry:  school!

"What if no one else has spots?  What if the teacher is mean?  What if I can't find the bathroom?"  Wemberly learns that making friends helps alot and it's not as hard as it may seem.  At the end of the first day of school she turns to her teacher and tells her not to worry, because she will be back tomorrow!

I wish I had had a copy of this book when I was 5, because I had a bad case of homesickness when I started school and I was a worry wart, just like Wemberly!  What a great book to help young children see that we all have worries and worries can be fixed!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...